Saturday, June 23, 2012

The raw pine table

So we made one big furniture purchase - a raw pine table from Restoration Hardware. It goes with our worn-in, semi-utilitarian vibe and we were sold on the butterfly leaf. We can sit 6 comfortably with the leaf in but the table is only 36" square for every day. Perfect for our tiny dining room.
The wood looks warm in my photos - here's a website shot, which is more accurate:



It's to die for. And it's very, very raw.
We spill wine a lot.
I was concerned.

After looking into every possible finish, I bought two pieces of laminated fabric and cut them into tablecloths with pinking shears, and we followed Restoration Hardware's advice and used only clear furniture wax to protect the table. I used a bit of Minwax Polycrylic on the underside to make sure I'd hate it (it made the ashy pale wood warmer and darker, as if it was damp). I applied Table Wax from www.thefurnitureconnoisseur.com/ and after 2 coats I'm thrilled - the wood has the same soft feel, just a bit slicker. It smells nice too!

2 comments:

  1. Hey,
    It is a great table, I just bought the 60".
    I'm getting ready to wax mine and was wondering if you just waxed the top and legs or the underside too?

    Thanks,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill - we just waxed the top, edges and legs. We have had it since July and have waxed it twice. We often use a tablecloth so the underside didn't worry me.

    ReplyDelete